Sunday, February 1, 2009

Wongsanit Ashram


I took the overnight train to Bangkok and then a taxi for about 45 minutes to Wongsanit Ashram. Check out their website: http://www.sulak-sivaraksa.org. I arrived at about dawn and found a canal at the end of the path to the Ashram. What to do? Nobody told me that you have to take a hand-pulled barge across the canal to get to the Ashram! I finally figured it out and thus began my stay of several days at Wongsanit Ashram. This eco-village was established in 1985 as an intentional community for simple living and for engaging in social action and spiritual practice. Today it is a well-established yet loosely held community dedicated to social change. Some of the members are actively involved in the process of social change in Thailand, Laos and Burma, while other members are more here to serve the needs of the activists and themselves. I enjoyed my stay there, relaxing in a beautiful rural setting.

No comments: