Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Auroville

I’ve been in India for about 2 and a half weeks now. It still doesn’t feel much like India, because I’m staying in Auroville, a 40 year old experiment in seeing how people from all over the world of all different religions, philosophies, colors, etc. can live together in peace. I urge you to visit the website at www.auroville.org to read about this amazing place. I plan to stay here for 6 weeks total, leaving when the weather gets really hot at the end of February. (For me, it’s plenty hot already, in the 80’s and 90’s every day.) One real joy for me is working with an angel named Anandi who runs an organic foods production center. She’s also planning to open a raw food restaurant soon, so I’m here helping her develop recipes, and prepare raw meals for people who are already coming to eat in this tasty and healthful way. I feel blessed to be working with Anandi, a beautiful Tamil woman who has lived in Auroville for the past 17 years, and seems to know everyone. We’re soul sisters! This is Anandi in the foreground at the Matrimandir, the spiritual center of Auroville.

After traveling with Lily and Emily, I've found that I much prefer to travel with someone, sooooooo I’m looking for someone to travel through northern India in March and/or tour Bhutan in April. If you’re interested, let me know!

2 comments:

WorldRoutes said...

ARAYA, YOU AMAZE ME! It sounds as though you're travels and vagabonding is presenting the world to you in a way that is transformative. Soon you will have been traveling longer than any single one of my expeditions around the world and I enjoy you that. While Laos and Cambodia may be fore difficult traveling, that difficulty is what later you'll find made it so valuable. The challenge seem to stretch and open our minds in ways that we don't experience with the familiar and comfortable.

If my economic situation were a bit more manageable I'd be buing a ticket to meet you for your travels in Bhutan. But...it is as it is!

Love you tons!

Michael O

EMBlau said...

I echo everything Michael says. You amaze me too! Thanks for blogging so much and making it all come alive for us -- your stuck-in- one-place friends and adoring fans.
Miss you, and wish I could join you.
Lots of love from yer very own emmy lou